HARRIERS LATEST INTERNATIONAL REPRESENTATIVE
Many congratulations to Sadie Sigfstead who has just been named to the Canadian Under 20 (junior) team for the 2020 Pan Am Cross Country Cup, to be held in Victoria, B.C. on February 29th. Sadie ran an incredibly strong race to finish 3rd in Canadian Junior Championships in Abbotsford on Nov. 30th. She was in fact, the first finisher among runners eligible to compete for Canada in this international meet, the two girls ahead being ineligible because they will be too old when the competition is actually held. Those who know Sadie will be aware of just how hard she has worked to achieve this international “call up” and what an outstanding achievement this is. We also know that Sadie would be the first to acknowledge that she would not have performed at this level if not for her many training partners among the distance group so a part of the “glory” and recognition should go to them. Congrats, to all concerned. Sadie was the outstanding Harrier at the Canadian Championships but by no means the only one to distinguish themselves, We had a record 13 runners challenge the best in the country. In the U 16 mixed race (boys and girls), (the first time a national cross country race has been held for this age group) Samara Cockburn was 30th in the girls sections and Katie Freeman 41st , both making their debut at a national cross country championships. In the U 18 boys race Jason Ushko capped a fie season leading the Harriers contingent in 29th place, running under 20 minutes for 6km. He was supported by Liam Ouellette in 65th, Evan Wong, 86th, Leif Pougnet 105th, Julian Ratch, 114th and Sebastian Lind 119th. This was the biggest race of the day and most of our runners will be in the same age group next year. In the U 18 girls race both Chloe Palmer and Maddison Ford bravely fought it out with the leading group over the first lap but found they had misjudged the pace and faded on the second lap, still finishing in creditable 40th (Chloe) and 67th (Maddie). Emily Duxbury bravely decided to race despite not having trained for weeks because of a soccer injury and she finished in 86th place. In the U20 (junior) men’s race, Cassian Murray-White was the 2nd Albertan to finish in 21st place and Ammad Hussain, representing Harriers though studying at U. B. C. was 74th. Congratulations to all and this was a great experience, as the championships will be held on the same course next year.
REMINDER: Edmonton Harriers Pre-Christmas – Guesstimate Run
Coming up shortly the Annual Harriers Guesstimate Run. Saturday December 14th at 10.30 am. Details snet earlier. Don’t miss it.
George’s group training as usual except 12th when they will be at the dome at Foote Field.
Phil’s group no training this Saturday due to the Guesstimate run. The rest of the week as usual – be prepared to run outside. Phil met with one of his training group this week to plan the rest of the season in more detail. Anyone else in his group who would like to meet individually to plan for the future please let him know. The Christmas break will be an ideal opportunity to get together in this way.
Reminder from the Edmonton Track Council – dates that the facilities are not rented i.e. no training at the facilities named.
1. Kinsmen Sport Centre
– Dates the facility is not booked:
- December 23, 2019 – Track Only
- December 24- 26, 2019 – No Booking
- December 27, 2019 – Track Only
- December 30, 2019 – Track Only
- December 31, 2019 – January 2, 2020. No Booking
- January 24, 2020 – Event in Fieldhouse. No Booking
- February 17, 2020 – Event in Fieldhouse. No Booking
- February 21, 2020 – Event in Fieldhouse. No Booking
- March 12, 2020 – Event in fieldhouse. No Booking
- April 10 & 13, 2020 – Easter. No Bookings
2. Turf Training Centre
– Be sure to book your club into the facility via the online calendar 1 week prior to your requested date at: https://teamup.com/ksqv3v57s52z9ypt2 Dates the facility is not booked:
- December 23, 2019 – Jan. 1, 2020
- April 13, 2020
3. Foote Field Dome
– Be sure to book your club into the facility via the online calendar 1 week prior to your requested date at: https://teamup.com/ks1fba50af4b757318 Dates the facility is not booked:
- December 23, 2019 – January 2, 2020
- January 9, 2020
- January 18, 2020
- January 27, 2020
- February 10, 2020
- February 17, 2019 – New Cancellation
- February 19, 2020
- Mach 3, 2020
- March 10, 2020
- March 28, 2020
- April 6, 2020
- April 7, 2020
- April 11, 2020
- April 24, 2020
- Sat. Dec. 14th Harriers Christmas Guesstimate – details sent previously
- Fri. Jan. 17th – Sun. Jan 19th Golden Bear Open at the Butterdome. Details to follow.
- FRIDAY JAN 24TH HARRIERS RELAYS at Kinsmen Fieldhouse. Be ready to volunteer! An exciting competition followed by the Harriers volunteer’s pizza party.
- Sat. Jan 25th MacEwan Invitational at Kinsmen Fieldhouse
- Sat/Sun. Feb 8th and 9th Pandas Open at the Butterdome
- Sat/Sun. Feb. 15th and 16th Alberta Indoor Games
- Sat/Sun Feb 29th/March 1st Alberta Indoor Championships, Butterdome
- Sat. Feb 29th Pan Am Cross Country Cup, Victoria B.C.